Wednesday, October 10, 2007

E. T. Telefono Casa

Se buenooooo!

So last night I watched E. T. in Spanish. I'm currently on this trip where I want to see all of my favorite movies in Spanish and laugh at the idiotic voices / translations. E. T. was satisfying in terms of its dubbing and such but I was a bit saddened by the whole remastering thing they did to it. I mean, E. T. is now digital and I frankly believe we have lost a great deal by making him so advanced. I prefer the electronic E.T. any day of the week. This DVD edition I picked up from the library is brazen enough to add a bunch of new scenes that I could have frankly done without.

So am I getting old and crotchety or what? Because I find that lately I've been complaining much about "improvements" and "advancements". I think with me it has to do with that old familiar feeling I relish so much of things already known. For example, my E.T. is clunky and does't blink as gracefully as this new one and that's how I like it.

I'm also beginning to notice that my English is deteriorating at an alarming rate (see previous sentences). I mean, I don't even know where to begin correcting what I've just written.

Anyway, E.T. made me cry a lot last night. My roomates were a bit alarmed. What can I say? I'm a sucker for these kind of tearjerkers. The worst of it is that I'm not too sure that E.T. is meritorious of my lachrimose display. I mean, I know he doesn't really die at the end, which is a bit of a cop out on Steven Spieldberg's part, I think. I mean, come on man. How are you going to do that to us? One minute E.T. is flatlining and the next he's screaming his head off. It's like, sike! Just kidding! Sheesh.

I don't feel like this anymore.

No comments: