Friday, September 30, 2005

El Retiro

September 12, 2005

Dear Diary,

El Parque del Buen Retiro is much more beautiful than I had previously imagined. (So that you know, I am utterly fascinated by trees and if you see me staring into space ever, I am probably just admiring the trees.) Yesterday Amalia (our professor) took us on a tour of El Retiro and Paseo del Prado. The streets were dotted by people of all walks of life coming and going to and from the park. Families with their children, dogs, teens, runners: you name it and it was there. El Retiro is supposed to be Madrid’s answer to Central Park, and while this may be biased of me (considering that I’ve never been to Central Park) I’d venture to say that El Retiro is much more beautiful. El estanque (a little pond) alone is quite a sight to behold, but I think the thing that really captured my heart were the trees. Their trunks are tall and massive, but their branches and leaves are wispy and give the appearance of hair. Beautiful, beautiful, trees. After our tour Lina and I headed back to El Retiro to have lunch. We had a nice long chat about love, family, and children. I will be letting you in on more of my Madrid adventures faithful readers, at a later date cause I really should read some more Quijote. But I promise to post more regularly!

Buenas Tardes Madrid,
Grecia

No comments: